Monday, October 8, 2012

DIY Decor - Tulle Pom Pom garland



So a birthday party happened last week. I have since decided that I love parties, as long as I'm not hosting them...ha!
Anyhow, I was hosting this party and I ended up making a bunch of decorations for it, so expect many diy decor tutorials in the weeks to come. Hopefully, these will give you some new ideas for parties you are hosting. First in the series of "how to decor" is this Tulle Pom Pom Garland that I made (inspired by this garland via Shortcake Party Shop on Etsy, unfortunately it is closed right now). Its like the easiest thing ever but it adds a big kick to your party decor.


Supplies:

  • Tulle ( 6 inches roll or yardage)
6 inches rolls are much easier and faster to use but you could also get the yardage and cut it into strips yourself. Its not really difficult and you may save some money that way.
  • Upholstery weight thread or any other strong thread. I think organza ribbon will also look good but I haven't tried it.
  • A piece of cardboard ( about 6 inches wide )
  • Pair of scissors

Construction:

wrapping tulle on cardboard
Wind the 6 inch tulle strips around the cardboard piece. I wound about 10 times for each pom pom. You could reduce or increase this number depending upon how full you want the pom-pom to be.

tying up tulle
Cut the end of Tulle. Take the Tulle off the cardboard. Tie the thread tightly at the center. Don't cut the thread yet.

cutting out tulle pom-pom
Cut the tulle by taking your scissor between each loop and cutting there.

tulle pom-pom tutorial
Voila! your first pom-pom.

Now wind some more tulle around the cardboard, Take it off the cardboard. Remember the thread that we didn't cut last time around, now tie the same thread about 8 inch away from the first pom-pom to make another pom-pom. Keep on doing this.



tulle pom-pom garland tutorial


Aha! A garland!




Pin It

7 comments:

  1. So pretty perfect for a little girls party or bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty pom poms! I like them strung on the garland as well. I've got this linked to my roundup of pom pom tutorials post too today, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea. I love the pom poms. Great tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simple!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project! Be sure and grab a featured project when you link up this week at I Made It! Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some sugar :)